homestead - Re: [Homestead] Reusable canning lids

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Reusable canning lids
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 20:25:24 -0600

On Jan 9, 2008 7:05 PM, Gloria Morris <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd sure like it if someone manufactured a good quality reusable canning
> lid. It is so wasteful to throw them out and buy new!!!

When I was a child -- okay, so that was half a century ago -- we had
some old mason jars with glass lids and metal bales that held them on.
There were rubber rings for the seal, and I don't remember if we got
those new or reused them. They worked fine.

I bet someone is still making a version. I know Germans continue to
use some old technology like that (generally with some improvements
made over the years).

Marie