homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cornbread season--stovetop?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 19:27:13 EST

And on the stovetop corn bread, a Dutch oven or skillet with an iron lid does
work. Not exactly the same as oven baked bread.

Another possibility is corn cakes or hoecakes (NOT called that because they
were once baked on a hoe). Just drop the batter on a hot, lightly greased
griddle exactly as you would pancakes.

"Got an oven in the kitchen, bakes cornbread nice and brown
But I need my woman home to turn the damper down
'Cause I'm jealous, jealous hearted me
'Cause I'm jealous, jealous as I can be"

Yet another cornbread related song. </HTML>