homestead - Re: [Homestead] Intentional Communities

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Intentional Communities
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:26:01 -0400

On 6/22/07, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

On Jun 21, 2007, at 9:51 AM, Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

> My husband says the drawback is the lack of complete privacy.

Your husband is not a homesteader. The reason a homesteader does not
fit in an intentional community is because of the wide streak of
independence. I may be poor and this land may be poor, but by the
gods, it is my land and I do whatever I jolly well choose to do with
it. I plant what I choose to plant and when I choose to plant it.
Don't trick me with that consensus stuff. Just leave me be.

True. He is not a homesteader, but for years he helped. I'm not either. I
just like to garden, really. I don't want to kill animals, but I like to
support local farmers and purchase their meat. I like to write and read and
have a job, so I don't have the time for homesteading. I'm actually learning
to trade the forex with a great software program so that in 2-3 years that's
what I'll do full-time and it will take 10 hours a week. So, I still dabble
with numbers and probably will always be interested in the economy. I can
here and there. I freeze lots of stuff. Husband and I are a real team, but
we have learned that we will never be homesteaders, but more important, we
don't aim to be any longer though we're still going to have a great late
summer & fall garden.

My husband, the 'wild' blues musician that he is, still likes to run around
nekked sometimes but usually while gathering clothes or wondering if that's
a bear in the barn at 5:30 a.m. (it happened twice and yes, it was a bear).
He is just as interested in an IC as I am. He declared to me that a guitar
player with carpal tunnel should not prune fruit trees. The IC we're
thinking about, we've known them for 8 years. They are fairly independent,
as IC's go. We haven't moved in yet, but we may down the road.

We're working on setting up our lifestyle. Husband is getting closer to
traveling for gigs in Europe and our kids are getting older. The oldest
graduates next year and youngest is just 6 years behind. I'll always work at
least part-time trading commodities or forex or both. I'll write. I'll learn
more about alternative med & herbs and nutrition in general. May even get a
cert. or degree in it. I'll fit in gardening as I can. Meanwhile, we'll
support local farmers. I recently went back to buying local milk, did so for
4 years, then she got out of dairy. Rec'd a call recently that local milk
can be purchased again. We're lucky in Floyd. More people moving here all
the time who want to make a CSA or have an organic market garden.

Lisa