homestead - Re: [Homestead] Intentional Communities

  • From: FranksFarm AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: gcreekfarm AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Intentional Communities
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:00:53 -0400

Hi all,

This is Frank down in Kentucky.

Sometime ago I purchased a beautiful farm in rural southcentral Kentucky's
knob hill area.

The area is still largely small farms and forested hills. Gorgeous:) I
specifically chose this property after much searching because it is very
private, contains a mile on state fed trout stream, and has over 70 acres of
good bottomland.Yet it is only about ten miles from the county seat, and
about an hour to Lexington.

The property contains over 465 acres. Since I'm at a stage in my life where
money is not the prime consideration. I had hoped to create an Eco Village -
to be shared, and nurtured by like minded folks who were truly interested in
building community.

I even put info about the proposed community on some websites, and this list.
The response was quite good. Deep down I expected that there were indeed many
who were seeking such a lifestyle.

I can't tell you how many hours I spent communicating with all those who
replied. Most were quite earnest, and asked so many questions. Many were from
other regions of the country. But despite sometimes months of correspondence
only a few actually took the time to travel. Some wanted to buy in right
away, but only wanted a certain piece of property, or just did not seem to
have a good plan, or the necessary funds to afford such a lifestyle.

Believe me I'm just not interested in creating hassles.

One lady even showed up with a truckload of goats, some scrawny dogs without
even getting my permission. She did write well, and seemed to know a lot
about homesteading matters. However, she had no money, and only the promise
of a job at the sales in Keeneland! I felt sorry for her, and allowed her to
camp out for a few days. But the fellow whom she said promised her a job with
the horses at $150 per day did not do so.

Someone called the ASPCA about her goats which she confined with a makeshift
corral since they saw no water. Police even came down, and made me water
them. I sure was glad when she left! My neighbors had a big laugh on that
episode.

One of the dangers of the Internet is that you never really know the person
you are dealing with. He or she can take on a completely new character, and
easily dissemble:)

Anyway I just could not afford all the time, and effort and so put the
project on the backburner.

I'd like to build an Eco Village like the one at Ithaca New York. But the
folks up there were able to afford homes ,community buy ins that were well
over $200K.

The kind of community homes I envision would be built using best sustainable
technologies,would be low maintenance, low energy,filled with daylight. It
would be a healthy home, and a  well designed one. It would be a very special
place.

I recently saw such a home in California - the asking price was $450,000 for
a 2500 sq foot home ! A couple of the homes were resold for over $600K.

Hardly affordable for most.

Long term such homes will actually save you money, but how many people think
that way:)

I'd be hard pressed to build such a home even down here for $250K - unless
there were government subsidies. Since such communities would be a benfit to
all.

Anyway I fully understand Lynn's comments about "going it alone". Even if you
do everything right it's still a grind to make even a modest living , and you
soon realize how dependent you are on Mother Nature's cooperation.

If I were younger, and had more energy I'd be willing to undertake more,but I
simply don't have that kind of drive:) If there were other like minded folk
who chose to get involved, and had the talent, abilities or the financial
wherewithal for such an undertaking I'd be interested in talking with them.

To live simply, and well IS attainable - if you have readily marketable
skills,and talents and don't mind working. Or if you are financially secure,
and can AFFORD to live simply:)

Over the years I've come to know many on this list, and I know many of you
have the skills,  perseverance, and pluck to help build such a community. I'd
be happy to have you join me.

But I've spent untold hours reading, researching,and on the web on lists like
this, and others on Intentional Community and I can tell you that it really
takes very special, well motivated people to make it work. I was much
impressed by the Findhorn Community in England,which evolved over years of
mutual effort.

I can tell you that just trying to do an holistic plan for such a community
is indeed a great challenge since all sorts of skills, and disciplines are
needed.

Most of the more successful communities have spent months even years in
hammering out consensus, finances etc.

If you feel you are up to the challenge, want to be a part of something
special, are willing to make the commitments, and have sufficient assets
invest in a trip down. Let me know.

Best to all. Frank