homestead - Re: [Homestead] Intentional Communities

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Intentional Communities
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:59:38 -0700 (PDT)

The Amish-type community is sort of like what I am
suggesting. It is the type of community that my
parents and grandparents grew up in. In the case of
my ancestors they were able to make a living on small
farm operations. (medium 20-40 acres for gparents,
40-80 for parents). They really didn't do anything
communally but just helped the neighbors and neighbors
helped them so work and resources were shared.
Just brainstorming here. Start with an area with
small acreages in proximity and encourage interested
people to move. To create this community purchase a
larger parcel of land and subdivide it appropriate
sized parcels then try to find buyers who are
interested in homesteading. One way to discourage
yuppies would be with deed restrictions limiting the
size of a house or the amount of lawn that could be
mowed, or private roads that would not be built to
suburban standards.
For this to work it would still require the right
people and some would not work out so well, just like
rural areas of 5 generations ago there would be some
co-operators and some not. But I'm guessing it would
be easier to ignore the non cooperators in this model.