homestead - Re: [Homestead] Riot for Austerity! 90% Reduction Emissions Project

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Riot for Austerity! 90% Reduction Emissions Project
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 21:47:49 -0500

On 6/17/07, Rob <becida AT comcast.net> wrote:

Anybody out there in internet land on the homestead list work over
the internet? Live a good ways from the job and still do it without
lot's of transportation fuel?

I'm not doing it now, alas, but for about 15 years I worked as a
freelance editor from home, only having to go out at irregular
intervals to meetings of one kind or another.

>If I slowed down to 20 mph, it would
>take an hour. I could do that. In fact sometimes I find myself
>driving slower
>and slower anymore. Cars will tailgate and impatiently whip around me and
>careen off into the distance.

That's just being an asshole.... <shrug>, I have days like that too.
To each his own.

I don't live in the mountains like James, but I find if I drive about
55-60, which is the speed of traffic going into Springfield, that the
jackasses in their urban assault vehicles who are compelled to rip
around me get hung up at the stoplights at the edge of town and get to
town about the same time I do. These days I find that I have to set
the cruise control to avoid going slower and slower and slower. (In
his last few years, my late spouse complained that he was doing that
too -- and he'd been a race car driver in his flamboyant youth.)

My new car has a continuous mileage meter that gives me instant
feedback on what my mpg is. So far as I can tell, 45 mph is about
optimal. It's hard to be sure, though; while Illinois has a reputation
for being flat, we have a lot of little hills around here. It's not
Kansas.

Marie