homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 21:27:41 EDT

> I agree, Gene! I grow the Poblano/Anchos each year

As folks have pointed out, a Poblano and Accho pepper is the same thing with
Anchos generally refering to the dried pepper (which is used in a lot of
'moles')

Just in case anyone is interested, 'ancho' means 'wide' and 'poblano' means
anybody or anything from the State of Puebla (which itself is a
femininization
to make a place name out of 'pueblo' = 'people', 'state', 'nation')

While stuffing some other type of pepper and baking it with queso would be a
fine dish, it wouldn't, says I, be 'chilis rellenos'. That requires Poblanos.

I've finally got a dozen going on the hot bed under cover. I tried several
times to buy the peppers in the mart or save seeds from the ones I grew with
no
success. The problem being that for chilis rellenos the peppers have to be
unripe and the seeds are immature. For seed saving the peppers have to be
left to turn either bright red or dark mahongany color (depending on the
cultivar) and by that time they are past prime for rellenos. </HTML>