homestead - [Homestead] Bamboo question..(dumb)

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Bamboo question..(dumb)
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:36:45 -0400

This is one of those better safe than sorry questions..
A month or so ago, we cut/harvested some bamboo canes from my neighbor's
grove. The canes are 3 inches at the base and probably 40 feet tall.
Today, I cut the tops off the cane, basically halving the cane into 2 20
foot sections. I want to build some trellises such from the canes, BUT,
I had this thought...knowing how bamboo spreads...
If I bury the cane tops in the soil, there's no chance that it will
root, is there? It's been over a month since the canes were cut and
they are partially dry..surely they won't root, will they? Do I need to
pour concrete in coffee cans and put the canes in the concrete, or can I
just stick them in the ground?

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.