homestead - Re: [Homestead] Potatoes

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Potatoes
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:37:26 -0700

~~sigh~~ if only we had such reliable animals here. We must rely on hit and miss. A golden eagle sits atop the old Ponderosa pine and patiently waits for flying or four-legged messenger. Sometimes he snags them and if he misses, the mountain lion that recently moved up here from down in the valley gets our messengers.

However, springs is here and the hummingbirds have returned and they will take up the duties of message delivery. They don't fly low enough to the ground for the mountain lion to get them and they are far too fast and agile for the eagle to get them.

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
James' posts probably have to be carried up out of the hollow
via seriously old, brittle phone wire on up to civilization for a few
hours or so before actually getting out onto the world-wide web.

Actually there is rather remarkable donkey who memorizes the digital message
sparking and shorting on the ancient phone line on the post, wanders to the
other side of the ridge, then rubs his back on another pole agravating the short
in that part of the line and the message gets sent out.

Here, the animal of choice is homing pigeons...they tap out the 1's and
0's...

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.