homestead - Re: [Homestead] Potatoes

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Potatoes
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:08:31 EDT

> Now, does anyone can their potatoes? If so, can you then cut them up into
> sticks and deep fry them for french fries?

We can potatoes from time to time. It's always new potatoes and those not
much larger than an hen's egg. Early in the season small new potatoes are
grubbed out and the vines make up for it by either setting on even more
potatoes or
else making really big potatoes out of what's left, or both.

We've canned them in quarts and half gallons. It's only as insurance against
losing the potatoes later in the season or in storage. They are canned skins
and all.

What with round potatoes one doesn't make the best use of the jar volume as
would be the case with cut potatoes. </HTML>