homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed saving questions

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed saving questions
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:51:43 -0500

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:
Is it feasable to plant a few of each kind each year?
Raising enough seeds to keep a good supply on hand. I'm guessing it would take too much time?
Van Dell

Well, space is the issue for me. While I have plenty of land, anything not enclosed in the garden fence won't live long due to the heavy deer population. Usually, I'll plant one thing on one end of the garden and something else on the other end, but I only have a 70x100 area inside the fence. Deer don't bother things like gourds so I sprinkle gourd seeds out near the creek and along the pasture fence, away from the squash in the garden, or I'll start them in the greenhouse and transplant things outside of the fence, as long as the deer won't eat them, but I swear, the deer eat almost everything, everywhere. My friend Ava had one come up on her porch, two feet from her door, and eat her hydrangea down to the ground. We are simply dealing with overpopulation here.

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.