homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed saving questions

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed saving questions
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:06:20 -0500

Been thinking about this...
Glass jars are good, but glass breaks and light goes through it. Baby
food jars stack, but not very high...
I've always loved and wanted an old apothecary chest for herbs...been
bugging Ron to make me one for years..
What if Ron built a large piece of furniture, basically a large
apothecary chest, which drawers wide enough and deep enough to store 2
rows of baby food jars 2 jars tall? Of course, near the base, I could
have a cabinet for larger jars for corn and beans.
If I put this 'chest of drawers' into an unheated closet, I would then
have the protection of "dark, cool, and dry" with the added benefit of
organization and rotation.
Can anyone see any problems with this plan?

Bev

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Dark, cool, dry. I got my hands on a supply of dark amber glass jars
(medicine jars so the lids seal tightly) ranging from 50 ml to 1
litre. That's what I'm storing my seeds in now .... in the basement
... in the dark.

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.