homestead - [Homestead] Herbivores on the Porch, was Re: Seed saving questions

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Herbivores on the Porch, was Re: Seed saving questions
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:06:25 -0600

I haven't had a chance to talk to my neighbors since my lost goat was
found, but I wonder what they will think if they see the signs of what
happened before I tell them what happened. Sunday, I went on a goatie
road trip with 2 friends to get my first goat, a lovely Nubian doe,
heavy with kids. To make a long story a little shorter, she got away
from us when we got her to my place, and she disappeared into the dark
night. We looked for her in the dark, to no avail. I spent hours on
Monday searching for her and contacting neighbors, again to no avail.
On Tuesday, we had a search party looking for her: 4 women and a dog.
We searched the forest near my house for hours, and had about given up
finding her. We were walking back across my front yard, disheartened
and discouraged, when one friend spotted her. She was on a neighbor's
porch, enjoying the protection from the wind and the lovely sunshine,
and she was looking through the window at their dog. I'm not sure if
she left any calling cards anywhere on the porch, but they may well
wonder if the deer population is now completely out of control should
they find any pellets. :-)

The story has a happy ending. She is now safely in a stall in my shed
awaiting kidding. My horse is smitten with her and hardly leaves the
shed (and she has seemingly gotten comfortable with his presence). If
all goes well my horse will soon have a goat and some little kids to
guard, and it will be like old times for him.

Gloria