homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed saving questions

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed saving questions
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:01:33 EST

> But that brings me to another problem...after reading up last night, I
> am now worried that some of my saved seed may not be "true" as I don't
> think I have allowed enough space between varieties of tomatoes and
> peppers to prevent crossing.

It is unlikely that you have a problem. Peppers and tomatoes have realtively
large flowers with lots of nectar and several flowers per plant at the same
time. Bees don't like going from plant to plant unless they have to and so
don't tend to got to two different tomato plants separated by more than a few
feet. Smaller pollenating insects get loaded down on one flower and and
disinclined to go to another one.

I've grown a score of different kinds of peppers only feet from one another
for years and replanted the seeds. I've not had anything I could identify as
not being true to type.