homestead - Re: [Homestead] Routasigner

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Routasigner
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:43:02 -0500

Well, we have a scroll saw and a bandsaw. I know we have some thin
plastic laying around, and of course, wood scraps galore. I'll play
around with computer fonts and create a backwards slanting letter,
transfer it, and cut a new template on the scroll saw. Good idea there.
If it works with the new template, then we can either create more or
find someone to make more or whatever. Hold the horses...
I just now had a conversation with Ron about this thing again, and he
says he's figured out why it slants...the whole thing pivots because it
is a triangle(I may not be explaining this correctly-sorry-maybe you can
conceptually figure this out) from template to the groove to the router
base/work area. He says he thinks it can be modified to a pantagraph
like this one:
http://www.ies.co.jp/math/java/geo/panta/panta.html
He said we will make one and try it.

Just in case anyone is wondering why we are fussing with this POS, my
stepfather gave it to Ron a few years ago and asked for a sign with his
name on it. He had never used it and was cleaning out the basement. I
think someone had given it to him and he had no use for it, so he gave
it to Ron. Anyway, right before Christmas, guess what, he mentioned
that sign and 'wondered' if Ron had ever used the Rout-a-signer..lol..so
Ron dug it out and is now committed to making the sign my stepfather
wants... lol..
If he can figure out how to use the D-thing, we can make signs as gifts
for other folks.

Bev

Warren F. Smith wrote:

I don’t get it either but I'll tell you what- I wouldn’t be above
having that trophy making friend I mentioned make a couple letter
templates with the opposite slant to see what happened. You could
probably cut one or two from thin cardboard to try it out. The angle
is likely 15 degrees- that used to be the lettering angle for
engineered drawings back in the days when we lettered by hand.
(Architectural lettering had no slant).

Warren

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.