homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed saving questions

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed saving questions
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:25:47 -0800

Well, it's been awhile but if I remember correctly, paraphrased <g>, some pollens are light and fluffy and travel by air well and others are heavy or sticky and need help. As I remember, tomatoes are one of the "need help" types, melons are of the light and fluffy (easily carried by wind) types. I used to have a list but it was probably on the two crashes ago computer.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "clhw" <clhw AT InfoAve.Net>

Maybe you know -- what is the innoculant routinely recommended for treating
peas? You mix it up, soak them in it about 8 hours, and then plant them.
Without it, germination is extremely slow.

On your question about distances, if flying insects or wind currents come
into the picture, wouldn't it be very difficult to say? That is one of the
problems with the GM seeds: the crops on neighboring land are getting
polluted with it.