homestead - Re: [Homestead] canoes & kayaks & Alaska, was Routasigner

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] canoes & kayaks & Alaska, was Routasigner
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:47:03 -0500

Rob wrote:

Back in '76 & '77 I was stationed at a light house in Puget Sound, one Saturday a guy came cruising in with a kayak on top of his car. He had just built it and wanted to try it out.
If was fiberglass, he said he and a couple of friends had rented the mold from REI and made 3 of them. They were going to paddle the inland passage up to Alaska.... I wonder if he ever made it?
Oh ya, the kayak worked well from what I could see.

Doubtful. He probably got lost. :)

Speaking of Alaska, in 2002 early one spring I was working at the front end shop in Bemidji MN. One morning a guy came pulling in with his Isuzu Trooper, he was on his way to Alaska and thought his car was making funny noises. It was, wheel bearings, brakes and some front end parts. With the bearings alone would not have gone far. He left that afternoon, I wonder if he ever made it?

Probably. He had the good sense to have his car checked before he started out on his trek. :)

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.