homestead - Re: [Homestead] And another one falls

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] And another one falls
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 20:35:58 -0600

Well, this is not good news. But I haven't bought from Burpee in years
anyway, so it won't change my seed buying habits. Like so many here, I love
Fedco, Johnny's and Seed Savers. Territorial is good too. I'd not tried
Baker Creek, Lisa, but I'll see if I can't find them. Horizon Herbs is
a great resource for herbs. In the past I've also ordered from Vermont Bean
Seed Co., Pinetree Garden Seeds, and Miller Nursery. To the best of my
knowledge all of these places are still OK. If anyone knows any different,
please holler, as my belated orders will be going out soon.

Gloria

On 1/9/07, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

On Jan 9, 2007, at 9:17 AM, Don Bowen wrote:

> http://groovygreen.com/groove/?p=868

Thanks, Don.

For those who didn't click on the url, this is the message:

"A recent merger now announced says that W.Atlee Burpee & Co.
Seeds has accepted a deal to be bought out by Seminis. This will mean
that from the beginning of 2007 onward, Burpee will be operated as a
subsidiary of Monsanto (a.k.a. Monsatan) Co., which has already
bought out Seminis. Seminis and Burpee were the two largest American
seed companies not affiliated with Monsatan until both were recently
bought out by the multi-billion-dollar corporation."

Yep, you read that correctly. The big conglomerate, Monsanto, now
owns Burpee seeds. Well, actually, Seminis owns Burpee seed, and
Monsanto bought Seminis last spring for $1.4 billion in cash.

This is important as Monsanto creates RoundUp as well as terminator
genes.

Monsanto also patents seeds so that they cannot legally be grown
unless the seed is purchased from the company.
Additional Info:

http://idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2245

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2005/12/7/83510/2591

http://www.corporatewatch.org.uk/?lid=208

This really frightens me - especially after watching "The Future of
Food."