homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:01:52 EST

> As to dropping flakes of hay from a loft to horses below, that works
> fine if you confine the horses to stalls. Of course, getting the hay
> UP into the loft requires much greater effort than stacking it at
> ground level.

Don't discount loose hay out of hand. There are little oddments of space
here where it is impractical to use a tractor (which I don't have anyway) and
not
worth hitching the horse and all the paraphenalia. Yet they can be cut with
a scythe in just a short while and all those places being harvested
incidentally here and there all summer adds uo without it being a killer task
all at
once. A little loose hay to pitch to the loft is light work.

A barn desigened for hay storage will have a block and tackle to raise the
bales to where they can be swung into the loft easily.