homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 08:57:21 -0800 (PST)

The barns I grew up with all were built with equipment
to use the large hooks that might lift up to a quarter
(?) or more of a wagon load of hay up into the loft.
Once as I kid I was assigned to pull on the rope that
would release the hook and drop the hay into the loft.
One time I decided to see what would happen if I
stood on the rope. What happened was the hook tripped
before it got into the barn and dropped the load back
on the wagon. I am glad that no one was standing on
the wagon at the moment.
I am told that the huge round bales which are almost
the only thing used in our community now wind up
wasting almost a third of the hay. Though the labor
is much much less.
Van Dell