homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:16:59 -0700

A barn desigened for hay storage will have a block and tackle to raise the
bales to where they can be swung into the loft easily.

Our big Wisconsin barn had the system wherein loose hay is grabbed with large tongs, pulled up to a track by horse power, thence down the track to preferred position, when a rope is jerked and the hay falls. My job was to then spread the hay into position in such a manner that it could later be most easily pulled loose and sent down into the feeding area. Nasty, dusty, itchy work. Not sure if my lungs are yet cleared. I preferred working for our neighbor. He had one of those new-fangled baling machines.