homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 09:36:22 -0700

The bank barn seems to me a great idea. Apparently
that idea did not cross the Mississippi, as the only
ones I have seen or read about were the "western
barn".

Our Wisconsin barn had three levels, utilizing the slope of a hillside. Bottom level was where the cows were stanchioned, fed and milked, also a heifer wing for young stock, also the area for moving silage out of the silo and into the feed bins in front of the cows. The next level up could be driven into in the middle with a team or later a tractor and on that same level were the horse stalls. The haymow was the top level, filled from the high part of the hill via hay forks/tongs.

After our discussion a few days ago I went to my wife
and warn her that she may need to tell me not to
design a "barn" with the dwelling in the hayloft and
the basement workshop. Don't know if I would actually
want animals below the dwelling.

Think free heat. Many northern European barns were on one end of a structure, the human living quarters on the other end. In addition to heat, such an arrangement works very well when there is heavy snow outside.

Since I design things for pleasure, I'm now working
on that design.
When she agreed to leave Arizona, her emotional home,
and move to Missouri, my emotional home, she did on
the condition that she could select the house. (a
cruel thing to do to a designer/architect)

Boy, you must have really been motivated to get to Missouri.