homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:38:48 -0600

On 12/21/06, VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com> wrote:
Don't think I've ever heard the term "flakes" in
relation to hay.
Van Dell

Van, maybe you are used to round bales. But square bales consist of
flakes of hay. When you cut open a square bale and pull off some of
the hay, you will find that it is like a loaf of sliced bread. These
"slices" are referred to as "flakes."

--- Lynda <lurine AT softcom.net> wrote:

The loft is great for horses. Much easier to have
traps to drop the hay
down than trying to carry it from stall to stall,

As to dropping flakes of hay from a loft to horses below, that works
fine if you confine the horses to stalls. Of course, getting the hay
UP into the loft requires much greater effort than stacking it at
ground level. But if you have no labor issues, or if you can pay to
have the hay delivered and stacked in the loft, then loft storage is
not such an issue. I've never confined my horses (or sheep or cow,
etc.) to stalls except with one that is sick or injured or (rarely)
after an ice storm when the ground outside is too treacherous for an
animal to safely traverse. Normally I allow all larger livestock to
come and go from an open shed at will. Due to that, I feed hay from
larger common feeders.

Gloria