homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:09:34 EST

I suppose it's inevitable that I'd add this to the thread, but do you all
intend to "go gentle into that good night"??

That is, all the preparations for our inevitable feebleness and infirmities
is all well and good. I do them too. I am mindful that I will one day not
be
able to manhandle the hard clay clods so I am conditioning as much of the
garden as I can with manure, compost, sand, and the like so that I will be
able to
prepare beds with less effort,

And not that I wouldn't like waist high stone lined beds. That would be a
lot of fun to garden. But my beds that are only raised as far as tilth will
allow must be tended by sitting on the ground and twisting to face the bed.
Each spring I am a little more stiff and inflexible, but a couple of weeks
gardening like this is like the effects of the Yoga devotee.

I tend to emphasize that the longer I put in physical effort in the
gardening, the longer I'm likely to be able to continue doing that.

By the bye, I will be 54 soon.