homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:33:50 -0800

We built raised beds and I have a little chair from an old school house that I use. I think the seat is only about 12 or so inches from the ground. There isn't much weeding to do because of mulching but it is pleasant to get up really early and sit out there communing with nature, pulling a few weeds, transplanting early starts, thinning plants, <g> remembering to put some of the strawberries in the basket before one eats them all. Picking the rest of the produce isn't much trouble with the raised bed as they are a handy height for picking the tall stuff standing up.

The stone beds would be nice. Someone went to a lot of trouble to build stone terraces here. Not the person we bought from but someone before her. However, they choose the wrong place. ~~sigh~~ It is really a waste but I'm not too sure what would possibly like wet, soggy "feet" all winter and only a short amount of sunlight each day.

60 next year, and I'm finally get a gray hair or two! Oh, excuse me, the youngest says they are platinum, not gray. Told her that was the only way I'd end up with any platinum <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

And not that I wouldn't like waist high stone lined beds. That would be a
lot of fun to garden. But my beds that are only raised as far as tilth will
allow must be tended by sitting on the ground and twisting to face the bed.
Each spring I am a little more stiff and inflexible, but a couple of weeks
gardening like this is like the effects of the Yoga devotee.

I tend to emphasize that the longer I put in physical effort in the
gardening, the longer I'm likely to be able to continue doing that.

By the bye, I will be 54 soon.

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.