homestead - Re: [Homestead] Turkeys- Geese

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Turkeys- Geese
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:08:05 -0800

At 12/18/2006 03:17 PM,Warren F. Smith wrote:

Has anyone heard of or tried raising domesticated turkeys in a
freeranging homestead environment- ie not in a turkey factory?

Warren

Yes, great eating too but they did get really big before we slaughtered them just before Thanksgiving.

I made a turk house for them out of scrap, I put a 'brooder box' inside the turk house for when they were really little. Kept them there for a month or two then let them loose.
They roamed at will chasing down bugs, seeds, goats milk and whatever until the week before Thanksgiving. I did feed them too.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA