homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 23:43:41 -0500

tonitime AT juno.com wrote:

I'd love to hear of your different ideas for making becoming elderly
at home easier. Toni E KY

When we remodel the bathroom (it was supposed to be done this year,
but...)we intend to take out the bathtub and put in a large, wheelchair
accessible shower. I'm currently trying to eliminate various pieces of
furniture (going to built-ins, smaller appliances, etc.) to make rolling
around easier. I don't know whether I will go blind before I can't walk
or visa versa, but either way, I am clearing out obstacles in the house
as I can. We can put in a ramp to the back door easily enough when the
time comes. The house is only about 1000 square feet or so, all one
level, one bathroom, and all that is less to clean. Outside, we have got
everyone on automatic waterers,,, well, will have. We just have to move
the old goat waterer from the stall to the garden for the chickens.
Rabbits have had an automatic system for 2 years now, and that was a
MAJOR relief. We are trying to save up for a tractor, which will
greatly reduce the amount of physical labor involved with everything.
After several injuries years ago, we bought a hydraulic woodsplitter and
that has been a worthwhile purchase. I don't know what we did before we
had that! I don't have any plans to go to propane, as if worse comes to
worst, I'll add a wood cart and a motor to the wheelchair. My raised
beds in the garden are 24" tall, and I am constructing more, even this
week. I did not want them too tall, as then they would not be
wheelchair accessible.
I practice walking around with my eyes closed, and I am trying to tune
my other senses by enjoying the quiet without TV or music. Oh sure,
occasionally I rock out to the point of nearly blowing the speakers,
but I am sensually trying new things and making myself use those things
that we all take for granted, like the ridges on the J on the keyboard,
vibrations in the floor and the dots on the 5 on the phone. I was
diagnosed with glaucoma earlier this year, so eventually....I'll be
blind, if I don't die of breast cancer or lung cancer first. ;)
I make lists of everything and keep a journal to record and remember
events, and this year I planned my funeral and wrote a will, just in
case I need it early. I've made several crucial decisions as well,
like for example, I've told everyone that I want to donate my body to
science, and that I don't want chemo or any treatment should I be
diagnosed with cancer or some other incurable, fatal disease. I will
simply take myself out to preserve organs and tissue and to avoid
financial ruin and pain and suffering.

Sorry to put a drag on the conversation, but those are things I have
dealt with in the past year.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky