homestead - [Homestead] Lycopene and other anti-oxidants

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Lycopene and other anti-oxidants
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 00:31:40 -0500

As I snacked tonight on some pickled tomatoes, I wondered how the
pickling process affects lycopene, if at all, so I did a search and in
the process, found this site
http://www.drgreger.org/december2003.html
Now, granted the guy is a vegetarian (I think) and has an agenda (to
promote his DVD), but man, I thought I was doing a good thing by eating
all that fish! I love fish! (salmon, tuna, sardines, smoked anything!!_
I subscribe to the notion that the body craves what it needs, and I
crave fish (and pickled tomatoes, and other things most people won't
touch, like raw asparagus.) :)
Anyway, just in case anyone else is wondering about the lycopene thing,
heat makes lycopene more bio-ready and while pickled tomatoes are not
cooked, they are subjected to heat in the canning process, so I am
guessing that pickled tomatoes have more lycopene than raw tomatoes, but
less than cooked tomatoes. If anyone knows for sure whether or not this
is true, I'm all ears.
There's a blurb in there about Mad Cow, too, one that I had not heard,
even though this article is 3+ years old.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky