homestead - [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 18:15:52 -0500

I love that about lists ~ seeing how they transition in groups of old
pals that have country life down pat - and that folk can mostly roll
with the various threads until the tone becomes ugly (as most longtime
homesteady types i know have chosen to live in some sort of beauty!).I
agree that it is a luxury and brain sharpener to think on it all. One
reason i chose some intensive community service and the knowledge (new to
me) required was just so i might join the "Use it, or Lose It Club"as
inevitable aging becomes so apparent on a more physical and mental plane.

Time now to get the gardens as accessible and friable and raised as much
as possible, grow mostly pole beans instead of bush types for the back's
aging process, - the list goes on and on! A good topic for some of us
these days, is how we are preparing for becoming "Older than dirt"!!
What have you done at your steads? Anyone have bars in the bathtub yet?
I've plans for a dumbwaiter to the drive-up basement, as DH (my elder,
hee-hee) doesn't like hauling things up stairs anymore. This year, after
decades of avoidance, i will become proficient with the chainsaw, that
has before been male territory in my choices! I bought a new hydraulic
splitter, as i can see that this task will become trouble for our
hardworking bodies.

I'd love to hear of your different ideas for making becoming elderly at
home
easier.
Toni
E KY

Gene said:
Is it not lovely that we have such luxury? That we have the
essentials under control and can spend some time ranting and raving.
Mostly ranting. We are quite good ranters.

Part of aging well is keeping one's mind sharp. Here that is possible
because many of us trust each other enough to consider seriously
opinions that are outside our belief or comfort zone.