homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 20:40:51 -0700

I'd love to hear of your different ideas for making becoming elderly at home easier.

Garden beds at waist height--eighty-five feet built so far. No steps, only ramps--one ramp so far, only ramps planned for new structures, but Chris wants an upstairs room or two, so that is still an issue for psychological maneuvering. Thermostat operating a propane heater fed by a thousand-gallon tank--never intend to be without it, although I do like wood fires and redundancy in important systems. Design everything for minimal maintenance. Do it right or do it over.

And of course the most important planning for old age is to do all those things that contribute to unseemly vigor and vitality. Embarrass your children.