homestead - Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods

  • From: Keith B <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 19:41:30 -0500

clhw wrote:

The living room and one bedroom have 1940s versions of the ceiling tiles.
They are ugly and in need of repair. Maybe we can opt for wood.

I agree that old ceiling tiles look like crap, especially if stained or chipped. Have you looked at new ones? I haven't but recall several past ceiling tile jobs and they looked good to me and the owners. They are one of the easiest ceilings to install.

At the opposite end of the room, we just bought our flooring for the kitchen of the log cabin. After months of debate and saving our pennies, we opted for an 18x18 inch self-adhesive vinyl. It is moss slate colored. I will install an underlayment over the plywood subfloor and fill all seams and nail dimples then roll on a primer before setting the tile.

Gene mentioned a vapor barrier behind his ceilings, I am thinking of rolling out felt paper before installed the lujan underlayment. Any advice?