homestead - Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:54:45 -0800 (PST)

> Since you seem to want to steer away from drywall,

Clarification, I'm not the one wanting to steer away
from drywall. I agree it is a very useful material,
though I prefer some kind of texture to the smooth
surface.
My idea of the spray on plaster was to go over
drywall. But it could work for someone else, who did
not want to apply drywall (I believe that was part of
the solo concern, because drywall sheets are large and
fairly heavy).
If the right spray material/equipment is available,
metal lath on studs with plaster sprayed on with avoid
the heavy lifting drywall, and the time and skill
needed for a normal plaster wall.

On a previous house (a log
> house) I used 2x6 T&G
> yellow pine as the floor decking for the second
> floor. I left that exposed
> (and stained it) for the ceiling of the first floor,
> with exposed (and
> stained) joists. I counter-sunk the screws used to
> install the T&G and used
> hardwood pegs to fill the holes, and I sanded the
> resulting floor smooth. I
> then finished the T&G as the floor for the upstairs.
> It was a very pretty,
> rustic floor, and a very pretty, rustic ceiling.

That is one of my favorite designs.

Van Dell