homestead - Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Solo building methods
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:56:50 -0600

On 12/12/06, VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com> wrote:

Clarification, I'm not the one wanting to steer away
from drywall. I agree it is a very useful material,
though I prefer some kind of texture to the smooth
surface.

Ooops. My mistake. I've not been following this thread very closely,
obviously.

My idea of the spray on plaster was to go over
drywall. But it could work for someone else, who did
not want to apply drywall (I believe that was part of
the solo concern, because drywall sheets are large and
fairly heavy).

Drywall is beastly heavy, especially in the larger sheets that
professionals use. However, it is quite do-able for one person to hang
drywall if you use a drywall jack (also called lifts and hoists). I
know someone who hangs and finishes drywall solo professionally,
actually. No real lifting is required, other than to raise the sheet
enough to lean it on the jack - and that wouldn't be that bad at all
with the little 4x8 sheets, which even I can pick up. For a larger
person with a bit more strength, s/he could drywall with the much
larger 4x12 sheets, which means less of the dreaded taping and
mudding. Those jacks are indespensible, and if I'm ever crazy enough
to build or gut and remodel yet another house (and ya never know, with
me), I will definitely buy one before it is time to drywall.

If the right spray material/equipment is available,
metal lath on studs with plaster sprayed on with avoid
the heavy lifting drywall, and the time and skill
needed for a normal plaster wall.

I cannot comment on the equipment, weight of equipment or materials
being handled, or degree of skill needed for such a wall. I've not
seen that sort built in this area.

Gloria