homestead - Re: [Homestead] Insurance

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Insurance
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 11:28:25 -0600

On 12/10/06, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

I wrote about luck and chance a few weeks ago. I feel the same about
accidents. And I think disease can be prevented by choice. Contrary
to the happy "S--t happens," I feel that bad happenings are human caused.

Much bad health can be prevented. My bulging disc never would have
been a problem if I didn't have a desk job, for example. But until we
can do gene (that's lowercase, Gene) therapy, we're going to have
autoimmune diseases, cancer, some forms of heart disease, etc. My
mother was equally convinced that if she lived a healthful life, she'd
have a healthy old age. It hasn't happened, and she really has done
everything right.

OTOH, my cousin Mary Jane -- that's the one in Eureka Springs -- is 93
or 94 years old, and carrying on like a 70 year old on her worse days.
Luck and genetics have everything to do with it. Mary Jane evidently
got the full set of McHarry live-long-and-spit-on-your-enemies'-grave
genetic complement. I sure hope I have at least some of them, but I'm
already seeing some of my mother's problems.

I am, however, in favor of a national health care plan, for pragmatic
reasons. Should the DC Whorehouse ever create one, I will willingly
pay my fair share of its cost.

If we had national health care, I'd have continued free lancing, work
that I loved, but the sicker Jim got, the more we needed some kind of
decent health insurance. OTOH, working for the state isn't all that
bad, and it allows me to exercise a mild form of subversion.

Marie