homestead - Re: [Homestead] Insurance, was Mad Cow Disease

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Insurance, was Mad Cow Disease
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 11:11:04 -0600

On 12/10/06, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

>Even people with insurance have free will.

Many don't use [free will], pick your choice as to reasons. My suspicion is
they capitulate to the system.

The flip side of this argument is that without the money for a
particular medical procedure or treatment all the free will in the
world won't help you out. That is why in so many communities people
have fund raisers for the uninsured who come down with cancer.

>It's not necessary to park your brain regardless of how much insurance
>you have or don't have.

Agreed, it is not necessary. It is, however, most convenient.

I've never found it so. In fact, I recently refused a mylogram when my
leg went numb and I started falling down, leading some to believe that
I either had MS or a serious drinking problem. I asked the doctor what
she would if I had a disk problem (what else would it be?). She said
she'd send me to a physical therapist -- a course I'd already strongly
suggested. So, she muttered some and sent me to the therapist. I don't
think I got any points for saving the insurance company a couple of
thousand dollars.

The cause, of course, was too much butt-in-the-chair time at work,
which my division has been remedying. We now have a spare room set up
with exercise equipment, and people can take their breaks on a Nordic
Track or exercise bike now that walking is impossible, since shoveling
sidewalks seems to be verboten.

I'm in no way special about questioning treatment. It seems that what
Gene and James are suggesting is that people don't make good choices
if they have the full range of options. Sure, some don't, and as I
said, that's just another way to cleanse the gene pool.

Marie