homestead - Re: [Homestead] Insurance

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Insurance
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 15:45:09 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:
And I think disease can be prevented by choice. Contrary
to the happy "S--t happens," I feel that bad happenings are human
caused.

I can't believe you wrote this, Gene. I knew this was pretty much the
belief of Clansgian folks, but you, too??
This is a bit like blaming the victim, to me. There are plenty of
children and adults who suffer from diseases that are not a result of
their choices in life. I think that for probably 60% of folks, what you
say is true, but it is not true in all cases.
The first sentence implies personal choice, but the second sentence
leaves the door open to blame someone else. Which is it?
I suppose what I am asking is this...
Take this scenario:
A young family moves to their homestead in the Appalachians and begins
to raise their children in a healthy manner by all accounts. They don't
smoke or drink or do anything even remotely considered self destructive.
When the kid, who has always lived on the homestead, gets to be, say 25
or so, he suddenly is diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. Since he
doesn't smoke and since there is no history of lung cancer in his
family, and since an after the fact radon test determines that the house
is filled with radon gas, are you saying that his lung cancer should be
blamed on his father for building the house improperly?
Or in this second scenario, same family gardens organically. Mother
breastfeeds children. A six month old child gets e.coli from her
mother's consumption of garden veggies that had been fertilized by
manure. Is her illness the mother's fault? If the child lives, but is
incapacitated for life by secondary complications from the infection,
should the mother be blamed? Do you say, oh well, this kind of sh*t
happens on a homestead, or do you cast blame at the humans for making
the choices they have made? If you blame the humans, would you
prosecute? How do you hold them responsible, because if you don't hold
them responsible, then, IMO, you are back to the "oh well, sh*t happens"
mentality.
It just seems a bit on the extremist side to me.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky