homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shotgun size for homestead

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shotgun size for homestead
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 09:43:51 EST

> Really? I haven't shot that many shotguns to really compare. It was
> about 10 years ago, but I did shoot a 12 ga once...it almost knocked me
> down. I don't even remember what kind it was, I just know it hurt, left
> a huge bruise, and made me realize that it was too much gun for me.

Shoot more. When you are about to squeeze off with a shotgun (or any gun
with a recoil), you pull the gun tighly into your shoulder with the result
that
it just shoves a little. But if it is not held tighly enough, it jumps
against
your shoulder and will hurt anyone, bum shoulder or not.

> Yeah, I don't see much of a need for heavy ammo, either. I seriously
> doubt I'd shoot at a bear. Like I said before, I envision shooting
> turkeys, snakes, marauding dogs/coyotes, and maybe other avian predators.

Light game loads will do away with snakes. If your goal is to run off
turkeys, crows, dogs, and coyotes, the game or target loads will do fine.
I've
killed turkeys with #7 or #8 game loads, but it isn't the best. For dogs and
coyotes, if you need to send them to their ancestors, #4 or coarser is better.

Also there's the matter of range. The smaller the shot (the larger the
number) the more the shot scatters and loses momentum. At 500 ft #8 shot
will just
pepper the target as if you threw a handful of sand at it. But at the same
distance #00 will kill a cow. Thant's a good thing, though. If you cut
loose
at stray dogs with #8 shot, you aren't goning to kill your neighbor down the
road.