homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shotgun size for homestead

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shotgun size for homestead
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 00:49:38 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Bev, if you have an intruder and, God forbid, you have to resort to a
firearm, shooting them with the 410 is just going to make them mad.

Well, I am about to 'inherit' a .38 caliber pistol for personal
protection, so I am not too worried about intruders. If the dogs and
the pistol don't stop them, I'd have to call it destiny that it was just
my time to go.

Don't discount the 12 ga. so quickly. Two factors will affect the recoil, at least two:

The mass of the gun. The heavier the gun, the less the recoil. A very light English fowling piece is like setting off a shotgun shell in your fingers. It is ALL recoil. But a medium heavy pump such as a
Remington or Winchester absorbs the recoil as inertia agaisnt its mass and so the recoil is much less. A very light 20 ga. will recoil more sharply against your shoulder than a heavy 12 ga. will.

Really? I haven't shot that many shotguns to really compare. It was
about 10 years ago, but I did shoot a 12 ga once...it almost knocked me
down. I don't even remember what kind it was, I just know it hurt, left
a huge bruise, and made me realize that it was too much gun for me.

The load of the shell. You don't necessarily need 3" magnum loaded Howitzer rounds on the homestead. For most purposes very light 2 3/4" target loads and game loads do fine. You can keep some heathen heavy loaded buckshot around just in case. Better kicked on you ass by the recoil than go into a situation under armed. But the need for
heavy ammuntion is somewhere between rarely and never.

Yeah, I don't see much of a need for heavy ammo, either. I seriously
doubt I'd shoot at a bear. Like I said before, I envision shooting
turkeys, snakes, marauding dogs/coyotes, and maybe other avian predators.

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky