homestead - [Homestead] Trapping critters, was Shotgun size for homestead

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Trapping critters, was Shotgun size for homestead
  • Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 14:53:06 -0700

The only reason I am considering a live
trapping/snare method is because there are eagles around here, and the
last thing I need is to kill a chipped eagle by accident.

I concur. I was given some steel jaw traps to use by my old "hillbilly dirt-farmer friend," Farrell Berry when first I went to live at Heartwood. I was battling night-feeding coons, possums, weasels and other chicken lovers and having trapped in Wisconsin I thought to give it a try. Farrell had his traps tied together in pairs with wire and set them perhaps eighteen inches apart. He taught that an animal in one trap may extricate itself but with two traps tied together the animal would soon become immobilized. So I set the traps. A week or so later I was dismayed to find I had caught a Great Horned Owl. A rabbit had gotten caught in one of the traps, the owl had come down for midnight dinner, then, while dealing with the rabbit, had stepped onto the second trap pan.