homestead - [Homestead] Shotgun size for homestead

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Shotgun size for homestead
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:34:22 -0700

I don't think I can handle anything more powerful than a 20
gage-my shoulder just won't take it, so I'm open for suggestions,
comments, and opinions on getting a 410.

A 410 is okay for sparrows. Get a 20 gauge with a choke appropriate for the distance you are most likely to use it. More open choke may kick less. Learn to lean into the butt. Shoot a large paper target and note the shot spread at 100 and 200 feet. Get advice on shot size from the person where you buy the ammo.