homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shotgun size for homestead

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shotgun size for homestead
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 10:13:16 -0700

I had another thought on this. I have to leave for a few days, so here it is:

Shoot two different shot sizes, say, number four and double-ought buckshot, into paper targets at most-likely-needed distances. This will teach you what each does. Then load both sizes into the gun, so that your first shot will send the number four out and if you miss, the second shot will send out the buckshot. The buck will have far fewer BBs but will have stopping power at much greater distance. Which is where the critter will be if you miss the first shot.

Before you whine that you don't really want to kill anything but just scare it away, get over it. Coyotes, coons, possums and other chicken-loving critters will scare only until they get hungry again. Killing is the only certain deterrent.

Guns are not for scaring. Guns are for killing. If you choose not to kill, then don't buy a gun. And never, never, never point a gun at anything you aren't willing to shoot and kill if necessary. Especially two-legged critters. It just makes them more dangerous.