homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ramble on Christmas rush/ideas

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ramble on Christmas rush/ideas
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 09:54:20 -0500

On 12/4/06, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> This is the beginning of the
> > big week. We mail 15 packages to parents (3), siblings (4),
> > grandparents (3) and aunts/uncles (5).

And a partridge in a pear treeeeeee....

Guess it did sound like that. ;)

Feeling better after a very productive afternoon yesterday. Cards addressed
and ready for my annual letter (just needs to be copied). Made double batch
of (dried) cranberry almond biscotti (also added sm.amount of dark chocolate
chips--went for overload!), first time I've made it and it wasn't hard, just
a process. Turned out well, but not as wide as biscotti in stores though I
followed the directions exactly. Going to make another batch today and will
purposely make the log wider. I made sure that I ate one for you guys.
Emerson (youngest son) and I decorated the tree and it's 90% done. Looks
pretty--though I think it's equally pretty with just lights. Will pick up
10# of raw pumpkin seeds from a food co-op order tomorrow and have roasted
tamari/garlic salt pumpkin seeds by tomorrow night in 1# qty. packages.
Marinate the beef tomorrow for jerky (perhaps tonight if I venture out
today, but probably saving all errands for tomorrow since client has his
violin lesson and volunteer job tomorrow). I think I'm on target to be done
with packages by the 10th.

Thanks for listening.

A thought I've had is to 'celebrate' Christmas with my family over Memorial
weekend when we are all together for a reunion of sorts. I could bring
canned goods (or anything else too heavy to mail) and other assorted
homemade stuff and nix shipping entirely--of course I'd lose all the canning
jars unless I could train my family to return them if they wanted more, or
skip canned goods.

Back to the kitchen--which is also the warmest room in the house.

Lisa