homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food Security

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food Security
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 00:40:11 -0500

I would agree 99% with you on this one. My parents didn't participate or care at all about what I did in school. The were totally uninvolved from first grade to graduation and then on through college. I excelled in school, not intentionally bragging here, just making a point. For me, and I know I am in a minority, but for me, school was an escape. I became a lifetime learner in spite of lack of parental support. I had some very good, caring teachers that popped into my life at the right time and they are the ones who encouraged me to excel. There's always an exception, and in this regard, I guess I am it. :)

Bev

Marie McHarry wrote:

In my view, that's equivalent to not caring. If they aren't involved,
don't know what's going on, they don't care. A parent who cares what's
going on in her kid's school actually knows what's going on, which
makes it hard for them to place blame unless they're psychopathic
liars.

There are lots of disconnected parents amongst the middle class. Those
who aren't have successful kids, regardless. Why do you think those
Vietnamese and Cambodian immigrant kids who came into this country
when they were in the middle grades ended up as valedictorians of
their high school classes? Because Mom & Dad really cared and
supported their kids, is why.

During the 6 years that I taught in Chicago, I found that pretty much
all of my black students had kids in the city's parochial school
system, and they were on those kids to do their lessons. I wish I
could have started a survey, but I'm sure that it's not the system.
It's the parents.

Marie