homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food Security

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food Security
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 00:00:17 -0600

On 11/22/06, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:
... My parents didn't participate
or care at all about what I did in school. The were totally uninvolved
from first grade to graduation and then on through college. ..... . I
became a lifetime learner in spite of lack of parental support. I had
some very good, caring teachers that popped into my life at the right
time and they are the ones who encouraged me to excel.

This is why PS is a good thing. Millions of kids in this country have
parents like Bev had who don't care. Teachers who do keep kids who
have motivation moving up the food chain. Bev might have done well if
not for PS but we all need venues and what do you do if you're 14,
Mommy & Daddy are sucking down Southern Comfort, and everyone thinks
you ought to marry the kid next door? Eh?

You can at least say you want to go to school and with luck a teacher
notices that you have a brain that needs tending.

I don't oppose home schooling and have met and admire the home
schoolers in the neighborhood. Those kids are getting a Mercedes
education. I'm not willing to flush the other kids, though. Many of
them are doing very well.

Marie