homestead - Re: [Homestead] Club memberships

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Club memberships
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:51:28 -0500

Van Dell, that is exactly my biggest problem with them, too. I prefer local, small businesses. I have the same beef with Home Depot, although I shop there, too. Since Home Deposit opened a store in Calhoun, several small stores have closed, and one large 84 Lumber store closed. Small businesses can't compete with the big chains except on service and maybe location.
WM and HD provide jobs, and while that's probably a good thing, it also promotes additional growth in small communities. I'd prefer that my county not grow any more, but alas, it is inevitable.

Bev

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:
I'm not fond of Walmart, though I don't make a big
deal about it because my sisinlaw works there. In
addition to the reasons already mentioned it is on the
other side of town and I don't like the big store.

I also have a preference for main street and for local
businesses. I buy my gas at the small supermarket in
Huntsville near where I will be living. Don't compare
prices, assume it costs more but I can accept that because I want to help make sure that they stay in
business.

It is easier for me to take this attitude because I am
not struggling financially. When we were raising kids
we could not afford that attitude. I guess now I feel
we are giving a little to the community.

I would be interested in a little feedback. I'm sure
that along with our preference for self sufficiency
most of us are concerned with our local communities. Or is that just my ideal?

Van Dell

--- EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

Thanks Drew...I've decided to do it now. I didn't
hear anything negative.
I just have this thing about Walmart...I hate
shopping there and I rarely do, just because their business practices and
world domination schemes don't set well with me. I just hate putting
more money in the pockets of the Walton family. However, I DO shop
there, so I guess my principles aren't that rigid. :)