homestead - Re: [Homestead] Club memberships

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Club memberships
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:50:48 -0500

I would be interested in a little feedback. I'm sure
that along with our preference for self sufficiency
most of us are concerned with our local communities.
Or is that just my ideal?

I'm interested in my community, Van, but shop around. There is a small
locally owned grocer in one town near me and I try to buy there. I've
found that I have to watch the small local stores in my area though.

I needed to buy some lumber a few months ago in quanitity. Called the
local Ace store that is locally owned and a few other places. Found
that a 2x8x16 was $5 higher there than another store 5 miles further
down the road.

There is a Home Depot going in this area and it will be interesting to
see what that does to these small hardware stores. I know that it is
hard to compete, but they have to come close. I think that some are
honestly just trying to stay afloat and others have been ripping
people off since they are the only alternative.

Of course, I try to stay local any time I can. Just find that in this
area, you have to be sure they are being kept honest.

Rob - Va