homestead - [Homestead] Environmental sanity signs

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Environmental sanity signs
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:38:55 -0600

Walmart is also encouraging their suppliers to cut
down on the amount of packaging. Am I the only one
who hates blister packages??..L. I'm sure they are
doing it to reduce price, but that is okay when good
consumer & environmental policy coincide with good
business policy.

I received today the last book in my latest broken order from Amazon.com. I opened the box and was delighted to not find --- Styrofoam peanuts! Chris and I have wrapped and mailed thousands of books and finally we see the solution to protecting the corners of paperback books from customer outrage: a simple, single piece of cardboard fastened to the book, the cardboard slightly larger than said book's outlines. Amazon and its competitors still have miles to go, as the fastening was done by shrink wrap plastic sheeting of a thickness quality suitable for roofing shingles. But the peanuts are gone, hooray! A step in the right direction.