homestead - [Homestead] On being old and having stayed awake

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] On being old and having stayed awake
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:25:50 -0600

Gene, I am always impressed with your quiet, rational, dare
I call it wisdom, comments.

Finally, someone confirms what I sensed when I was twelve years old and avoided the charms of Darlene, an older woman of sixteen who lived in the neighborhood and after much pestering by my pre-pubescent but wildly curious buddies announced that she would "do it," but only with Genie, as I was then known. Heavy contemplation in bed that night convinced me that I would one day be seen as a wise fellow or at minimum someone deeply entangled in the complexity of life's deeper mysteries. Of course that muse was tempered by knowing that the moment was lost because my mother insisted that I stay in to wash and dry the dinner dishes. And that I was too afraid of certain punishment to simply run out of the house. Which effectively precluded my potential awakening.

Thank you for the compliment.