homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schooling issues

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schooling issues
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 09:30:10 EST

Do you feel we should discount your view?

To an extent, yes, I'm afraid you should discount my view. Pure
libertarianism is and ideal, whether or not it works in the real world
remains to be
seen. Likely remains to be seen forever. So like all idealogs we push for
and
hope for things to move in that direction somewhat and in the mean time live
our
own lives based as much as we can on that principle.

> That is certainly radical. How would the first patients of an
> unlicensed surgeon decide she were competent to operate on their child?

The same way the first person who has a house built by a certain carpenter
decide that the house isn't going to fall on them and kill them. Carpenters
aren't licenses here. You have to do this to some extent already since a
medical license isn't any longer proof positive that the person isn't an
idiot or
willing to butcher you hopelessly to get higher fees. The point about this
is
that we have turned over our caution to the government totally and naively.
We
need to replace that with being informed and wary.

> >Caveat emptor favors the rich, the
> experienced, the ruthless. I see it creating a much more strongly
> classed society.

Interesting. I see the opposite. I see it as favoring the wary, the
informed, the savvy. It makes taking pride in one's ignorance a very
dangerous and
foolish thing.

> I know the process. I believe, however, that to sit for the Virginia
> bar exam, one must have graduated from an American Bar
> Association-approved college.

I believe that upon "reading the law" the candidate is entitled to take the
Bar. I say this because I was once in this process.

>Your position seems to be that lawyers

> should not be required to become licensed, therefore no need to pass
> the bar exam.

That is ineed my position.

>If a lawyer is not licensed then she would not be

> allowed to argue a case before a judge. They might do mundane things
> like contracts and wills, but their practice would be curtailed.

Not under libertarian law.

>If

> that system were changed, then courts would become of questionable
> competency. How would disputes be settled?

Again, this is an interesting difference in our views. I say the courts
would become more competent. Take the instance of small claims courts,
attorneys
are not allowed there (unless they are one of the disputants) and they work
more efficiently by far than regular chancellory courts.

> College study may well be inefficient. The Internet may well become a
> universal university. As for your degrees, perhaps yours are a waste
> of time because you chose a field of study that you now choose not to
> pursue.

Or the fields disappeared as in the case of electronics. No, what I am
refering to is that I could have learned everything contained in that degree
in a
fraction of the time sans the formal structure of college.