homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schooling issues

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schooling issues
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 19:25:32 -0500

Hi Gene-

Like James, I was involved in the process of reading for the bar in
Virginia. (We ended up moving to PA, thus ending my ability to complete it)
Here's the legislation describing the process. I don't think many
individuals these days choose to read in lieu of formal schooling, since
chances of employment would suffer as a result. I hear that California will
allow folks to sit for the bar exam who have graduated from any law school,
ABA approved or not. Virginia will not, as the website you cited pointed
out.

§ 54.1-3926. Preliminary proof of education required of applicant. Before an
applicant will be permitted to take any examination under this article the
applicant shall furnish to the Board satisfactory evidence that he has:

1. Completed all degree requirements from a law school approved by the
American Bar Association or the Board; or

2. Received a bachelor's degree from a four-year accredited college or
university and studied law for three years, consisting of not less than
eighteen hours per week for at least forty weeks per year in the office of
an attorney practicing in this Commonwealth, whose full time is devoted to
the practice of law; or

[two other options that entail variations of the second.]

The attorney in whose office or the judge with whom the applicant intends to
study shall be approved by the Board, which shall prescribe reasonable
conditions as to the course of study. (Code 1950, § 54-62; 1952, c. 553;
1960, c. 379; 1980, c. 533; 1988, c. 765; 1995, c. 336; 1998, cc. 119, 796.)

Cathy
formerly in PA, now in FL, soon to be in WA!

--- On Tue 11/21, Gene GeRue < genegerue AT ruralize.com > wrote:From: Gene
GeRue [mailto: genegerue AT ruralize.com]To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.orgDate:
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:44:10 -0600Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schooling issues

> I know the process. I believe, however, that to sit for the Virginia
> bar exam, one must have graduated from an American Bar
> Association-approved college.

I believe that upon "reading the law" the candidate is entitled to take the
Bar. I say this because I was once in this process.

"Can I take the Virginia bar exam if I did not graduate from a law
school which was approved by the American Bar Association (ABA) at
the time of my graduation?

"No. The Board has adopted the ABA Standards for Approval of Law
Schools. Thus it is unlikely that a law school which has been found
not to comply with the Standards by the ABA would be approved by the Board."

http://www.vbbe.state.va.us/faq.html